Hands & Feet
ROBERT PRUITT’S GODZILLA
I have to be honest, I contemplated cheating a bit on the hands. I pulled out some old gloves from a previous build and painted them with my newer latex mix. The results however were terrible. I chose to make brand new hands but using the same method.
Starting fresh, I coated a pair of gloves from the Dollar Store with batting and latex. I wrapped each finger with batting at least twice. The pinky finger I wrapped a few more times just to get the size I needed. I flattened the tips of the fingers by packing the batting into itself, then latex on top to keep it in place. This also provided an area for me to glue the claws on.
One of the big differences between the new gloves and the old is thickness. I liked my old gloves, but they did not function well. I had problems gripping or holding things. The new gloves were able to bend and grab things easily.
Hands finally attached. This was done days before a convention and was rushed. I had a terrible band where the hand attached to the arm. Looked like a latex watch. I didn’t correct this problem because I knew the suit needed just one more coat of latex and hundreds of “scales” to be put on later which would hide the defect. I did however dust it with powder to take off the shine so it blended better for pictures.
Remaking old feet into new feet. These are pictures of my feet from a previous build. These were originally made using two old couch cushions clipped with scissors until I felt they looked good. The bottom was hollowed so that I could wear shoes and they were just so comfortable that I wanted them for the new suit. These are the only items for this suit that I did not make from scratch. If I ever make a third suit, these will probably get cut off and be used again.
I started my rebuild by cutting off all the previous latex. Since the foam was old couch cushions the latex hadn’t soaked in too deep, the dark spots are where it did. Each foot and toe was trimmed, shaped, and refitted. Size was reduced approximately 10%.
I wanted a noticeable difference in the way the feet looked. After looking through several pictures and playing with dozens of action figures I decided to simply add defining features. To do so I wanted to make the feet look like they had bends or knuckles. I wrapped the toes with pipe cleaners to give the toes a segmented look.
When both feet were segmented to look like giant sausage looking monster toes. I covered both feet in latex, pipe cleaners and all. I did use a pair of wire cutters to trim the wire at the bottom of the feet so that there were no mishaps with the wire poking me in the foot.
I was going to have a one piece suit so that meant I needed to attach the feet. While doing a test fitting I requested help from wife to hot glue my leg to the foot. Once the glue was dry, I climbed out and put a thin piece of craft foam around where the leg met the foot to make the pieces flow together better. Cover in batting, latex, and voilà! Attached feet that won’t come off or shift when walking.