ROBERT PRUITT’S GODZILLA
I chose to do foam dorsal plates mostly because I liked the way they look on builds from other people. I started with the larger dorsal plates but had no real definition on the size I wanted to make them. Basically I just drew a rough shape of the largest one and that’s the size that I started with. I used a knife to trim out the shape. I then used that as a template for other sizes.
Each time I cut a new one out, I hand shaped it with scissors and displayed it on a table to show size and placement. I labeled each one at the bottom to show the ordering and positioning that each dorsal plate would take.
Tail dorsal plates were made out of 1” foam and all uniform. I was cranking these things out like I was making cookies. Since they were so thin there was not a lot of effort put into shaving them. I just cut the edges off and blended those to look round at the “lumps”.
Painting the dorsal plates. I experimented with several different shades and colors for the dorsal plates. I wanted the middle to be darker but wasn’t really sure how. I looked at lots of pictures but nothing really came to mind.
Extremely late one evening I dropped one into a plate of latex, and decided to call it quits for the night. The next day I found that after it dried, it gave the dorsal plates a dark center look and was pleased with the result. My wife came up with the idea to fade the color with a grey paint to lessen the transition from white to near black.
Attaching the final few dorsal plates. While it is not pictured, to keep the foam in place so that a dorsal plate doesn’t accidentally fall off, I used a combination of hot glue and latex. I used plenty of glue around the edges of the dorsal plate base, then I soaked the bottom of the dorsal plates in latex so that it would adhere to the suit. Having 70% of the outside dorsal plates coated in latex has greatly increased the durability. While it is possible to lose a point on the dorsal plate it’s less likely to be ripped in half or come away from the suit.