JIM FAZAR’S GODZILLA
Godzilla’s tail is one of the best features about him. Its usefulness in the movies is uncontested and it just looks so cool. I wanted the tail to be long, realistic and have motion. I was hoping I could make the tail move a little from side to side or even swish up into the air a couple of feet. I thought of running wires, but it could get caught on objects or worse some poor person could lose a finger! I’m sure there is a way to use a motor to make it move but I didn’t have the time to devise such an elaborate device.
At the end that would connect to the suit I used a larger, sturdier piece of foam that would be the female connection point. I spaced the discs out evenly and jammed white pillow stuffing in-between each one. This gave the tail a nice shape but also kept it light and flexible.
To keep it all together I used the gray stretchy fabric which I spray glued to the discs. I would spray a small section of the foam and pillow filler with the spray glue then quickly wrap it. I used a clamp to help hold each section so I could keep moving down the tail and used fabric glue to make the final connection when sealing the tail up.
Many of Godzilla’s dorsal plates are on the tail so before I added the gray fabric I glued pieces of poster board to the discs. This pictures shows an abandoned idea with thicker sections for the tail, but the poster board idea is the same. I wanted to make sure the dorsal plates couldn’t be knocked off or even pulled off so I placed multiple pieces of poster board in the shape of an upside down T. For each of the large dorsal plates there is a piece of poster board that it attaches too. I partially split the spine at it’s base so it would fit over the poster board and secured them all with spray glue.
Because the tail will be dragging across the ground 100% of the time I knew I needed something more sturdy than just fabric. I’ve seen people use little wheels and such but that just doesn’t seem real enough. I bought some fake leather from the fabric store and cut it to size then used fabric glue, spray glue and even hot glue to secure it in place. The fake leather holds up great on pavement and through puddles so something sturdy like that is a must.
To secure the tail to the body I had the male/female connection prepared but if someone stepped on the tail it would just pop out. To really secure it I created a plastic bolt that goes all the way through both the tail’s female connection and the body’s male connection point. I purchased some thin plastic tubing and ran it through the middle of the male connection on the body. That would serve as the slot to easily slide the plastic bolt through.
Here’s a final shot of the tail before adding texture and painting. It’s not easy making it light, sturdy AND flexible but I think I did just that. I’m sure there are other ways to do it and if have any great ideas then please leave a message for other fans to read.